Dominating the centre of our nearest
village (two miles away) is the Chateau of Cherveux.
Dating from the 12th century when it was a fortified mound it has grown over the centuries into a fortified and moated Chateau. In app. 1476 a Scot named Robert Cunningham built the Chateau as it appears today, although the ravages of time have removed parts of the building.
St Maixent l'Ecole
Our nearest large town, it dates from the 5th century.It has an ancient Abbey,church and 'old town sector',military school and museum.
There are some good restauraunts and bars, and four supermarkets to meet your shopping needs.
It has a tourist office on the main street where you can obtain local information and a large market each Saturday.
Only 20 minutes away the impressive ruined castle Coudray Salbart,set on a hill with six towers.Worth a visit at anytime,but a must for a week in August when the castle hosts a week of 'medieval'theatre ,with battle scenes,jousting, live play acting with the audience all dressed in suitable smocks (provided on entrance),food and drink,music and more.
A half an hour away by car, Niort was originally a Gallo-Roman town called Novioritum. During the 16th and 17th cent. it was a stronghold of the Huguenots .Of the old fortress (12th-13th cent.), two huge towers remain; there are also several fine Renaissance buildings, including a town hall (16th cent.) and a church (15th-17th cent.) It has several fine bars and restauraunts, some of which face onto the large town square with pavement seating creating the very french 'cafe society' feel.
Petit Chene, Golf
La Petite Chene golf course is only ten minutes away, a fine course and excellent lunch or dinner available at the Chateau club house. Visit the site for green fees and more information.
There are two plan d'eau within a short distance,
large inland lakes with sandy beaches and childrens play areas.
St Christophe is only a few minutes away,Verruyes about twelve minutes by car.
The Deux- Sevres is the next "departement" inland from the Vendee and below the Loire in the region of Poitou Charente,western France.
It is so called because of the two rivers running through it,the Sevre Nantaise in the north,and the Sevre Niortaise in the south,the summer climate is very similar to that of the Mediterranean with long hot summers.
In the 12th century Poitou Charente was a 'part of England' in that it was ruled by the Plantagenets. Count Henry of Anjou married Eleanor of Aquataine and became King of England in 1154,their son was Richard the Lion Heart.
Poitou then became an english possession and established a 'Plantagenet' society with its own currency. Poitou was taken back under the French Crown by Louis the IX in 1242.
The countryside is reminiscent of the south west of England,green fields bordered by hedges and dotted with woods,cattle and sheep grazing the lush green meadows...
The area is also famous for its huge variety of goats cheeses,and has a local speciality wine called 'Pineau',originating from monks who put wine into casks which had previously held cognac.
The capital city is Niort, an attractive city with good shops, and a large indoor /outdoor market held twice weekly.